3 things you need to know before your back surgery
The decision to have surgery is never an easy one. However, if your doctor recommends you undergo back surgery, it most likely means that other non-surgical treatment options either failed or won’t help your particular case. Don’t worry – having back surgery is an opportunity to get rid of pain and get back to your normal life. There are different kinds of back surgery, and we explained some of them in one of our previous articles – Different types of spinal surgery. In this article, we will talk about things you need to know before back surgery. Having this knowledge will not only help you make an informed decision, but will also give you peace of mind.
1. The diagnosis
The decision about back surgery has to be based on many factors, with proper diagnosis being the main one. It is important to find a doctor who will do everything he can to evaluate your condition and diagnose you in the right way. Don’t leave finding the best doctor to chance. This is YOUR health at stake. Make sure that your orthopedic surgeon is a spine specialist who has a lot of experience with these type of procedures. If you leave in Palm Beach County, we encourage you to see our Orthopedic spine surgeon in Delray Beach – Dr. Matthew Hepler. Dr. Hepler is a fellowship-trained adult and pediatric spine surgeon with leading expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of spine conditions. Following a thorough evaluation, he can help make a diagnosis and formulate an effective treatment plan to get you back on your feet. Most of the time, this can be done with non-operative treatments, including a focused exercise regimen; however, if your condition requires back surgery, you need to make sure it will be performed by someone who you can trust.
2. Types of back surgery
There are quite a few types of back surgery. We explain each and every one provided at our facilities in detail on our website. Here are some useful links if you would like to find out more about different kinds of back surgery in Fort Lauderdale :
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS)
- MicroEndoscopic Discectomy (MED)
- Spinal Fusion
- Posterior Lateral Fusion (PLF)
- Posterior (Transforaminal) Lateral Interbody Fusion (P/TLIF)
- Anterior Discectomy Fusion Instrumentation
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF)
- Direct Lateral interbody Fusion (DLIF)
- Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
- Smith Peterson Osteotomy (SPO)
- Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy (PSO)
- Cervical Disc Arthroplasty
- Lumbar Disc Arthroplasty
3. Back Surgery statistics
Did you know that:
- Less than 10% of all patients with back-related conditions require back surgery?
- About 400,000 people in the United States undergo spinal surgery each year?
- There were just over 150,000 spinal fusion surgeries in 1993; by 2007, the number had more than doubled to 350,7541
- The indirect annual costs of back-pain related conditions in America are over $100 billion
Orthopedic spine surgeon in Palm Beach County – About Dr. Matthew Hepler
If you are suffering from back pain, don’t hesitate: Make an appointment with Dr. Matthew Hepler. He is a leading orthopedic spine surgeon in Delray Beach and Fort Lauderdale with fellowship training in both adult and pediatric spine surgery. To find out more about Dr. Hepler, click here to view his profile.